Thursday, July 28, 2005

Depression

Whenever I talk to depressed patients and find out more about their stories and troubles, I wonder if I will one day encounter the same illness.

It's easy to draw the inference and say, "I feel the exact same way. Am I going to turn out the same way?"

Dr Yap said, "Doctors are by nature quite obsessional. It's a quality that allows us to do the work we do, being meticulous and all." Having obsessional traits also mean an increased chance of developing certain mental illnesses. Given the high stresses of the job, will we finally succumb? Is it a matter of time and circumstance?

If we all face the same difficulties in life, what then decides who will get ill and who doesn't? Is it the inherent personality that we have? If so, what determines our personality? Is it a nurture issue or a nature issue? Am I born or taught to be depressed?

I wish I knew. Or maybe I don't. Do I really want to know? I really don't know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home