Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Ungracious Singaporeans

Singaporeans can be so ungracious, almost bordering on the line of rudeness. Just in a single day, I have encountered such inconsiderate behaviour 4 times.

(1) Smokers at bus stops. We’ve encountered those before, haven’t we? They light up while waiting for their bus and happily puff away without realizing that their smoke has driven most people out of the bus stop.
(2) Groups of students. I was walking on the pavement when I saw a large group of students walking towards me. Naturally I kept to one side of the pavement, allowing space for them to pass through on the other side. Horrors, they kept hogging the whole pavement and unless I want to walk head on into one of them, I will be walking on the grass. Luckily it was a dry day, imagine if I had to walk into wet muddy puddles.
(3) Seat snatchers. As I boarded the bus, people normally go into a single file as the bus aisle isn’t very wide. This middle-aged lady squeezed past me, even though I was walking at a reasonable quick pace and took up the seat in front. And I wasn’t even intending to sit at that seat.
(4) And the worst, I met while jogging. As usual I kept to one side of the pavement, and I saw an uncle pushing the pram. Taking note of the pram I kept to my side of the pavement even more closely, giving more space for the uncle and pram to pass through. I had eye contact with the uncle and the next thing that happened took me by surprise. He actually pushed the pram into my path! What the heck! There was just about less than 3 metres between us and he pushed the pram into my path. I had to react fast and swerved into the grass patch. And the uncle kept going like nothing happened. Bizarre.

Apparently, I’m not the only one who’s encountered ungracious Singaporeans. Read
Geraldine’s account.
On a final note, not all Singaporeans are ungracious, rude and inconsiderate. I’ve met many nice people and they’ve really made my day sometimes. But all kinds of people exist. We just have to deal with it and say, “That was a pretty rude guy. I’m not going to get angry with him. He’s really not worth it.”

2 Comments:

At July 06, 2005 6:36 PM, Blogger Gerri said...

haha! my auzzie fren was telling me she encountered this rude waitress. she din sound like an australian so my fren asked her "where r u from?" she replied some country. and my fren went "oooh! so the ppl there r rude huh?" hahaha! tt's 1 way to deal with rude ppl...

 
At July 06, 2005 9:46 PM, Blogger Wei Qiang said...

that's pretty witty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home