Saturday, March 25, 2006

MBBS Experience

Final MBBS. The last professional exam in our undergraduate life. Sure, many doctors have said, "You have to fail yourself to fail the MBBS."; but nevertheless this has been the most stressful exam ever.

I've seen friends who cry after a bad clinical case, friends who suffer mental blocks and even panic attacks. The stress can really get to people. This is how stress ulcers develop.

I've had a okay experience. Didn't really feel like I got 'killed' by the examiners but also didn't feel like I 'wowed' them with my mediocre knowledge. Or at least I hope I have not forgotten all the bad stuff that happens and in a trance-like state, mistakenly thought I did all right.

  1. I've gotten examiners with 'reputations', which made my heart skip a beat. Although some have surprisingly becomed nicer.
  2. I've had a case where I couldn't pick up any sign on examination. Panicked there, first time I couldn't pick anything up. Paeds liver and spleen is really hard to palpate. Luckily given a chance to re-examine.
  3. Made the patient whince in pain as I demostrated my examination skills in front of prof. Even as gentle as I could, the patient still whinced. I was devastated. Hopefully they'll give chance to students.
  4. Was thrown off-track by some of the questioning by the examiners. My mind veered towards thinking the uncommon when the answer was obvious and staring me right in the face.
  5. Finished a long case 10 minutes before time. Good or bad sign? I hope it's good...
  6. Coming out from a case and realising your diagnosis is different from another student who had the same case is not a nice feeling. Although I stand firm and confident of my findings but the nagging feeling doesn't leave.
  7. Apologise if anything was missed in the examination. Don't make up signs even though it may be tempting to do so.
  8. Don't be afraid to cut the patient off and bring her back to the topic when she is side-tracking. Remember you have to present later, not the patient.
  9. Talk confidently, don't rush your speech. Be logical and answer the question directly. Offer broad headings and show if you have any approaches.
  10. Above all, stay calm!

Have I done enough to pass? Have I played this game of MBBS and won?

Viva list comes out Monday. Honestly I don't think I've done so badly to warrant a straight fail. Will I be exclaiming for joy this Monday or howling in anguish?

I only hope for one answer...

* the author sincerely hopes there is not epilogue or sequel to the above experience.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home