Friday, July 08, 2005

Geriatric posting comes to a close

That's me, the 2 wonderful MOs on the ward, Dr Juliana and Dr Low, with Jiawan between them.

Our consultants tutors Dr Helen Thomas and Dr David Yong weren't around when we took the photos, but they were equally wonderful.
For this posting, I actually felt part of the team. A pseudo-HO, in fact. Writing notes in the case sheets, suggesting ideas for improving patient care and offering differentials for patient's illnesses. What a wonderful feeling. I enjoyed this. And the people were so nice and easy to work with, both doctors and nurses. It's easy to pop questions and offer suggestions. And we are never put down.
Geriatric medicine requires a special personality. It's requires holistic thinking, a need to pursue details and ensure that things get done. A optimistic outlook helps tremendously, especially as the patient population profile isn't very uplifting. If you get what I mean.
Will I do it? I honestly don't know. But all I know is, I enjoyed this posting.

A quote of the posting from Dr David Yong.
A stroked-out patient asked Dr Yong if she was going to die.
Patient: "eh si buay?" (will i die?)
Dr Yong: "ah buay." (not yet.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home