Sunday, August 28, 2005

REAL load off my mind

Just finished the men's open of the New Balance REAL run this morning. It was a 10km race, transversing across 3 terrains: road (6km), sand (1.6km) and trail (2.4km).

This is the second time I signed up. I had to forgo the race last year due to a very bad and unforgettable gastroenteritis. I felt sick, nauseated and vomited at least 7 times over saturday night. I couldn't eat or drink and had diarrhoea as well. Finally saw the doctor at 0030hrs, for which he charged me over $120 for night fees. Thus I could only watch my friends finish the race last year. So memorable right?

This year, I was glad I finally finished this. I was praying hard not to fall sick because I had felt the initial symptoms of sore throat and runny nose just on Thursday and Friday.

It was a tough race, especially on the sand. As it was my first time, I was slipping on the sand mounds made by the previous runners. As we had to run through 3 beaches, I learnt fast and ran nearer the sea where the sand was more compacted. It was so much more easier.

I started off quickly, cutting here and there. Overstretched myself and after the sandy beaches, I was almost gone. I had thoughts of why I paid money to torture myself on Sunday and also that I'll give this run a miss next year.

But when I crossed the finish line, I was relieved and all those thoughts disappeared and was replaced by thoughts of, "let's do this again next year" and "I want to improve my timing next year".

Came across something interesting there. At the lucky draw, my friends and I were sitting around hoping to win something. They announced the numbers as they picked them up from the box. But alas those announced had left. They probably called like 5-6 numbers before anyone claimed the prize. Finally due to time constraints, they decided to only call 1 number. And the prizes will be donated to charity if no one claimed the prize. A particular elderly uncle was very agitated and shouted out to the stage with comments like "Not fair!", "How can you when we are sitting here!", "Donate to NKF is it?!". For a moment I thought he was going to scold vulgarities. I guess if you are meant to get it, you will. If you aren't, you won't. He didn't win anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home