Saturday, April 22, 2006

iSpa

"The word spa, taken from the name of the famous mineral springs in Spa, Belgium, has become a common noun denoting any place with a medicinal or mineral spring."

Being in the minority of people who don't go overseas for a graduation trip after 5 gruelling years of medical school, I decided I must at least do something memorable before my life loses all freedom as I embark on another 5 year crusade with the MOH.

So I decided to go to a spa!

And pamper myself. Nope, I'm not metrosexual, I just want to see what this new spa lifestyle is all about.

spa (spä) n.

  • A resort providing therapeutic baths.
  • A resort area having mineral springs.
  • A fashionable hotel or resort.
  • A health spa.
  • A tub for relaxation or invigoration, usually including a device for raising whirlpools in the water.

The first 3 definitions all included resorts. In the context of busy Singapore, day spas have becomed more popular as busy executives and professionals take a few hours off work for a spa treatment.

After some intensive internet searching, I decided to try out Eucalyptus Day Spa.

Apart from an informative website and tempting menu, what really made me decide to choose them was the awards.


Okay, this is really sounding like an adventorial.

But this isn't just a spa, it's also a school and teaches massage techniques to couples. And I figured if they are good enough to teach, they must be pretty good.

Not to mention Eucalyptus was pioneered by Dianna Chia, who is the spa consultant in the region.

I was looking forward to the 2 hours of bliss, especially since I'm going with Audrey.

Being a spa virgin, I didn't know what to expect. But the warm reception extended to us made us feel at ease. A glass of warm tea was served and we managed to catch our breath as we rushed down from work.

We were asked to indicate what areas of the body we would like to focus on and provided some more information so that the treatment can be better tailored to us.

I decided to go for the Ginger Tangerine Scrub and Egyptian Sports Massage. Audrey opted for the Sensual Strawberry Scrub and the Deep Sea Mud Detoxifier body wrap.

Sounds good?

It felt just as good. With abundant essential oils used in the treatments, it was heavenly and I was totally overwhelmed by the experience.

The spa therapists were very reassuring and friendly and they made the experience all the more memorable.

During the massage, I was trying to relax myself so that the therapist could do the deep tissue massage, but unfortunately I was unable to relax my muscle tone totally. The therapist said I had too much resistance and suggested that I should try the Balinese style massage instead.

I was trying to keep myself relaxed, it was difficult as this was my first time and also I'm quite ticklish. The therapist was very kind and constantly asked if the pressure was okay. She was approachable and was able to tailor the massage personally, allowing for a invigorating massage.

After the treatments, we were served another glass of warm tea.

We left the place refreshed, invigorated and happy.

Sure, I'll go back again. It's a great way to start a new week.

1 Comments:

At April 24, 2006 6:20 PM, Blogger KwangHow said...

Wow.. you sound like you were treated like a king during the session..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home