Monday, April 24, 2006

Prelude Thoughts

Often, one of the inevitable questions that people ask us doctors is: "Why do you want to become a doctor?"

And often I feel like I'm expected to come out with a noble answer like: "Because I like to save lives."

But more often than not, that's not the real reason.

Or at least, not the main reason.

Sure, everyone likes to be thought of as a saint. But sadly and really, doctors are just human.

Yup, flesh and blood like anyone else.

So what is the real reason why I took up medicine as a career?

(1) Because I scored good grades in my A' levels and took a chance at applying for the course. Even though I didn't get 4 As (I actually had 3 As and 1 B), I guess I impressed the interviewers enough for them to accept me.
That would be the practical reason.

(2) Because I liked science and I really didn't want to do any of the other courses in NUS. Plus medicine just happened to accept me, so I thought I'll just give it a go.
That's the circumstantial reason.

(3) Being a doctor sounded good. And I'm sure my parents would be proud.
That's the family pride reason.

(4) Doctor earn a lot of money right?
That's the wrong reason.

On the contrary, after being in the system and finding out that studying for 5 years does not mean your starting pay is a 5-digit figure. In addition to the whopping 6-digit debt incurred in the study loans, it means doctor is really quite poor.

So let's clear the misconceptions:
  • Doctors do not earn a lot, unless you are an emeritus consultant. Not everyone becomes a consultant, let alone an emeritus.
  • If you want to earn big bucks, be a businessman. (my anat prof told me this)
  • And also, doctors fall sick also. Don't be surprised when your medical friends say they fell sick. Remember, we are also flesh and blood. And prolonged exposure to nosocomial bugs make us more susceptible to infections.
So the reality is really a lot less rosy than what I actually thought before I joined medicine.

But did I regret my choice?

Sometimes, but I always find a new reason why I enjoy doing what I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home