Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Transition Phase

"... the transition phase is always painful."

I couldn't agree with that statement more. And I thought hospitals in the same clusters would have similar work processes. Well, I thought wrong.

The last week, (hmm, even this week), has been tough. Not only in terms of coping with the different type of work (medical VS surgical), the different teams (luckily I got a nice team but a horrible list) and also the different nurses.

It difficult being in the new environment, and having to find out where the alcohol swabs are kept. (If I have difficulty finding swabs, you can imagine the problems I face trying to find other stuff).

It has also been trying, especially not being able to go post-call. In fact, I can't even go post-call on time (ie 5pm), instead I can only leave at 6-7pm. That means I'm chronically short on sleep, and that is not fun at all, I can assure you that.

But like any transition phases, it's a short-term thing. Today I finally felt more settled in but I suspect it may take a bit longer before I start to really enjoy the posting.

But at least I'm starting to know my patients and how to manage them. I'm more in tune with the team and every person's nuances. But there's always room for improvement.

So keep working!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home