Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Future


Just barely a week into the new posting and I'm not enjoying it very much. Sure the workload is lighter than in CGH ortho, but I worry about stepping on unknown landmines.

And with very ill patients everywhere, an emergency is just waiting to happen.

If I ask myself now, "Do I want to do surgery?"
The answer will be "No."

But when I ask myself, "Am I confident I don't like surgery?"
I don't know that answer myself.

Maybe I need more time as an MO to experience surgery. Maybe I just don't hate medicine that much to say I want to do surgery.

I still remember a senior doctor I really respect saying, "The most complete doctor is a surgeon, because he can do both medicine and surgery."

And his little prep talk on his specialty has got me considering about it as well.

And I really want to be as complete a doctor as I can.

4 more months to go. A limitless future lies in wait. But what lies in wait? I really don't kn0w.

2 Comments:

At January 10, 2007 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

surgeons can do both medicine and surgery?? where did that come from? unless you mean prescribing painkillers doing medicine. anyway, i beg to differ... haha! the most complete doctor is one who delivers wholistic care. and so far, it's mostly the physicians who have been impressing me with that...

 
At January 11, 2007 5:18 PM, Blogger Wei Qiang said...

well, but the physician cannot remove a surgical tumor but a surgeon can prescribe chemo. A surgeon can deal with both sides if they want to but no matter how hard a physician tries, he can never do surgery.

or at least, that's what i think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home