Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Surgical emergencies

Everything in surgery is an emergency.
In fact, I believe the 2 words are synonymous.

I'm a lot more careful in managing GS patients as there are so much more ill.
There are like time-bombs, an emergency could happen anytime.
  1. SVT secondary to sepsis
  2. Sudden massive melena
  3. Septic shock
  4. Right pleural effusion resulting in desaturation
  5. Perforated viscus presenting as air under diaphragm

All these are just a preview of the cases I've had to deal with in the last week.

Everyday when I go to work, I'm afraid.

Afraid of what emergency I will encounter again.

Sure, it's a good feeling when your patient pulls through because of your timely intervention, but somehow I feel that as long as they are in the ward, anything can still happen.

And therefore I'm happiest when discharging patients.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home